Sometimes we need to give a world extra stress.We can also stress a function word or a syllable that is normally unstressed.We may do this :
- To emphasise something
- To contrast two ideas/points/viewpoints,etc.
- To correct/disagree with someone
For each sentence, underline the word(s) you think is/are given extra stress
- I wanted to go but i couldn’t.I was broke.
- Did you say her name was Julie? – No, Julia.
- My husband really enjoyed the mini break, but i didn’t.
- Was your purse on the table when it was stolen? – No , it was under the table.