نحوه بیان یک شرط در مکالمات و جملات
Read these sentences and then practice repeating the conditional words.
1. You can borrow my car providing that you return it before midnight.(you can also say provided that.)
2.You can’t go to university unless you have good grades.( Unless means the same as if you don’t )
3.Pollution will get worse as long as we continue to live in a throwaway society.
4.Many developed countries are willing to waive the Third World debt on condition that the money is reinvested in education and medicine.
5.Some countries will never be able to rectify their deficits,no matter how hard they work.
6.Cumputers are difficult things to understand,however many books you read about them.(However is used in the same way as no matter )
7.Crime is a problem, wherever you go.
NOTE : On condition that is the most formal expression,is generally stronger than the other words and expressions.
NOTE : We put conditional clause at the beginning of a sentence if we consider it to be the most important part of a sentence.
For example :
1.Providing that you return it before you midnight,you can borrow my car.
NOTE : Some nouns can be used to express conditions ;
Vocabulary help in examples :
1. Throwaway (adj ) : wasting everything or being very waseteful
2. Waive (v,T): to officially say that you will not use or require something that you are allowed to have : forsake , give up
3. Reinvest (v,T) : to spend money,time,energy, to make improvments to something valuable
4. Rectify (v,T) to correct something wring : amend – debug – emend -remedy
5. Deficit (n) an amoun ( such as money ) that is less than the amount is needed : deficiency – drought - crunch